About Emerging Leaders:
Emerging Leaders (EL) is facilitated by experienced and directly-impacted organizers and leaders, covers the principles of leadership: communication, storytelling, advocacy, policy, and capacity building.
Eligibility includes, but is not limited to, the following:
All EL participants must have a solid commitment to systemic criminal and/or juvenile justice reform. All EL participants must have had some prior criminal justice involvement which we define as anything from being placed in handcuffs up to serving an actual jail or prison sentence or anything in-between. Participants who are currently on probation or parole are also eligible to participate in the training. Participants with a family member who fits any of the aforementioned criteria are also eligible.
What happens at the training, and what skills will you develop?
Over the course of two days, we will cover five key concepts that support leadership and advocacy, based upon evidence-based best practices, the expertise of our trainers, and the experiences of leaders from your community. The five topics are:
- Value Problem Solution Action (VPSA) Messaging
- Policy 101
- Base Building
- Capacity Building
- 5 Principles of Leadership
Each session will apply directly to the work in our local community, and by the end of the two days we will have a shared grounding in the principles and practices of advocacy.
The three main goals for the training are:
- Educate directly-impacted leaders on the skills, knowledge, and resources to become effective leaders, such as organizing, advocacy, policy analysis, capacity and coalition building, storytelling, and communications;
- Empower leaders with tools to create change in their communities. JLUSA will provide tools and knowledge so directly-impacted leaders can use organizing and advocacy efforts to achieve community-led solutions; and
- Strengthen and expand JLUSA’s network of directly-impacted leaders, inclusive of individuals who are currently incarcerated.
*Training details will be provided once you are accepted*